Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bread and Butter

Blogs and photos go together like bread and butter (creative post title right?). A good blog must have good pictures to go along with each entry. I mean who's going to try a new recipe if there isn't a delicious looking picture to go along with it. Not me, that's for sure.

Unfortunately for me (and all of you) I'm no photographer. I wish I was and I hope to get better, but until then you'll have to put up with my less than perfect photos orrrr when you're lucky I'll include some photos Jeremy takes. He happens to do much better than I do with all those funny camera settings :)

Take for example these lovely photos he took last night.


Yes, I'm posting photos of Buoy again.

He happens to be a very photogenic subject.


Andddd isn't he just the cutest?

I also figured I'd share with you my latest adventure in the kitchen.
It involves a chicken and chicken parts.
The gross parts.

Sunday I decided that this would be the week. The week when I roast a chicken for the very first time.
I know some of you are thinking why? or who cares? or maybe that's disgusting?

But it was time and roasting something always felt to me like one of those kitchen must-knows. I mean come on Martha includes a whole chapter on roasting in her Cooking School book!

I bought the chicken.
Pulled out all the guts inside.
Jeremy gagged and then I said, "I thought men were the tough ones." Ironic, considering what will follow in this story.


How to Roast a Chicken
Wash. Pat dry. Place in roasting pan or Pyrex baking dish.
Rub with butter/lime/red onion/salt/pepper/jalapeno mixture.
You can fill in with any rub you want, just add something to the butter...herbs, lemon, garlic and onion. Whatever your heart desires.
Put in oven at 400 degrees for about an hour.
Thermometer should read 165 or so.
Let the chicken "rest" since roasting is such hard work for about 10-15 minutes.
Carve and enjoy.



{Insert fancy photo of the chicken here}


Everything went according to plan.
I did it! Yay!
Add THAT to my cooking resume.

And just when I was feeling pretty darn good about roasting a chicken and not giving Jeremy or myself food poisoning...I decided to do the dishes.
That's when I sliced my finger with the sharpest, biggest knife we own.
Blood went everywhere.Blinds. Sink. Counter.

And suddenly in that moment I was the least tough chicken roaster in the history of chicken roasters.
Jeremy had to come save me from an almost certain fainting episode followed by lots of tears.


What a night!

2 comments:

  1. Buoy and I loved the chicken and don't worry about the blinds... red is in this season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes!!! I hope you are ok!!! You are so brave in the kitchen. I would like to think that someday I could roast a chicken! Honestly, I haven't bought chicken all year! I love to eat it, but hate to prepare it myself! I guess that's when having a man around that loves to barbecue helps! I hope your finger is healing up! You'll get a hang of your camera settings, I know you will!!! Buoy is the cutest dog in the world. And I'm not just saying that because I'm his auntie.

    ReplyDelete