Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Classic Cooking

Up there next to roasting a chicken, making homemade jam has always seemed like something you just must know how to do.
I know, I'm ridiculous.
That being said, last night I made strawberry jam and it was so easy and so delicious.
Way better than that store-bought stuff!

Strawberry Jam
All you need:
4 C strawberries, washed, diced and mashed
1 C sugar
pectin

Follow the recipe included with your pectin, but basically you just bring the mashed fruit to a boil, add the sugar and pectin, then bring it back to a boil. Remove from heat and voila!
Let it cool and you've just made jam!

I had a problem last night though. Once the jam was made and jarred, I realized we didn't have any bread to put it on.
So I whipped out my delicious Paula Deen The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook and made some delicious Southern Tea Cakes.

The perfect solution to my jam dilemma.

Here's the recipe.
Southern Tea Cakes

Ingredients:
4 C all-purpose flour (I used unbleached white)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsps baking powder
2 C sugar
2 eggs
1/2 C buttermilk (can substitute 1/2 C milk + 1/2 T vinegar)
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl sift flour, soda, and powder together. Add remaining ingredients and blend well. Dough should be soft. Roll dough out onto a floured surface until approximately 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough into desired shape and bake on a slightly greased sheet for 10-12 minutes.*

*I used parchment lined baking sheets and I also noticed I needed to add additional flour. The dough was too sticky at first.
This recipe will make around 4 dozen tea cakes. I shaped mine with a 1/4 C measuring cup. Just press down to cut out shape and roll away excess dough.

Delicious!

Also thought I'd share with you some photographic evidence of our totally awesome softball skills.

See Jeremy pitching?


And there I am catching and batting!

Proof.
And P.S. I got my tooth fixed this morning :)


No comments:

Post a Comment