Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Holiest of Holy Weeks




I'm back! I've decided (after almost starting this entry 5 times the last few weeks) to start writing on this blog again. I can't possibly try to go back and fill you all in on what's been going on over the past few months...so let's pretend like this little break never happened. You won't mention it and neither will I! Sound good? :)



So this year we have an interesting religious situation. Most years Passover and Easter are near each other, however this year they are the SAME WEEK. Meaning in my bi-religious household we have a lot of tradition to follow, food to cook and eat, and family and friends to visit with. This entry will cover the first night of Passover. Now as most of you know, I love any good reason to entertain and cook. Last night was the ultimate reason to have a 3-hour-long dinner, filled with multiple courses, lots of wine, and friends. Being the first night of Passover, Jeremy and I decided to have our friends Tyler and Lauren over for the Seder meal. A traditional meal to celebrate and teach the story of Passover.


I don't think I could even begin to fill everyone in on the details of the whole story and the Seder, but I'll share with you a few basic facts.


  1. Passover celebrates the Isrealites' exodus from Egypt. To help the Jews escape the Egyptians and their enslavement, God sent ten plagues. The tenth plague was the worst, the Angel of Death flew over Egypt, killing each first born son. God protected the Jews from this plague, instructing the Jews to paint lamb's blood on their doors so the Angel of Death would know to "pass over" those homes. After this plague, Pharoah freed the Isrealites. They fled Egypt so quickly they didn't have enough time to let their bread rise, hence the tradition to eat unleavened bread during Passover (matzoh).
  2. Seder means "order". The meal is guided through the reading of the Haggadah. Each person has a plate which contains these very important symbols: maror (horseradish), karpas (parsley), charoset (apple/pecan mix), zeroa (shankbone), beitzah (egg), and salt water. Each of these items on the plate are symbolic and used during the reading of the Haggadah.
  3. During the Seder you read the story of the Exodus, walk through the symbols on the plate, sing, drink 4 glasses of wine, and have a HUGE meal!


I'm not going to go into much more detail, but it really is a beautiful tradition and a holiday meant to be shared with friends and family. For dinner I made my favorite salad of the moment full of strawberries, blackberries, and goat cheese, matzoh ball soup, and a brisket. Lauren brought the most delicious hamantaschen for dessert! (Thank you Lauren!)


Here are the pictures of our Seder table:
...and here is the recipe for traditional Charoset (tastes like a delicious applesauce!):




Charoset Recipe


Ingredients:

4 granny smith apples, cored and quartered
3/4 C chopped pecans or walnuts
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 C sweet red wine (i.e. port)

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until resembles apple sauce. Add more cinnamon or sugar if desired. This can be done ahead of time. I made mine the night before and refridgerated it until the Seder.

I think I did pretty well for a little Gentile girl! What do you all think?

Up next are my favorite Episcopal Holy Days...Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter! Bellingham here we come :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That seems like a beautiful tradition! It is neat that you get to celebrate different religious holidays in your household! I hope you have a really happy Easter with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linnea!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend too :)

    ReplyDelete