Thursday, December 9, 2010

An Odd Combination

Today I'd like to share with you two of my recent discoveries. One is an excellent (and easy) quiche recipe and the other is a fabulous new mascara. Random I know :)


Last Friday I made up this quiche when I came home from work and let me tell you...although Jeremy loves his quiche full of bacon and jalapenos, this one was equally as delicious! It also feels much healthier since it's filled with hearty potatoes and veggies.


Recipe of the Week: Potato, Leek, and Mushroom Quiche


Ingredients:


1 pie crust
1 yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into cubes
1 leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
3 cremini mushrooms, cleaned and diced
1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers, diced
1 cup swiss cheese
5 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk (I use half and half)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tbsp olive oil


Directions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees, and bake the pie crust about 14 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove and let cool. During this time, boil your potatoes for about 7 minutes. You don't want the potatoes to be fully cooked, but a little more than half way through. Drain and let cool.

  2. Add the olive oil to a preheated saute pan, and add the leeks and mushrooms. Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occassionally. To a bowl add the milk, eggs, salt, pepper, and mustard powder. Beat well.

  3. Layer half of the cheese on top of the pie crust. Add the potatoes, leek, and mushrooms. Then sprinkle the diced red pepper on top. Pour in as much of the egg mixture as you can fit, leaving at least 1/4-1/2 an inch of space between the top of the mixture and the edge of the crust (so when it bakes and rises it doesn't overflow). Top with remaining cheese.

  4. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes (until you can insert a knife or toothpick into the quiche and have it come out clean).

  5. Remove and let cool for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy!!

*Recipe courtesy of Simple Comfort Food.

Now on to the fun girly stuff! This is a recommendation for that moment when you are in desperate need of a good, show-stopping mascara...but don't have time to get to the department store or Sephora for my absolute favorite Dior Show Mascara.

L'Oreal has come out with a new mascara: Voluminous Million Lashes. It has the most perfect brush...that creates perfectly separated lashes that really do look a million miles long! The only downside it doesn't have quite the same volumizing effect that Dior's Show Mascara does. So this morning I layered! Easy solution! Million Lashes (first coat and bottom lashes) then Dior Show Mascara (second coat on top lashes). Poof! Perfect lashes :)

2 comments:

  1. Allison, I love your quiche :o) I remember when you made some that time Ashley & I came over for dinner! Yummy! I've never been able to wear mascara on my bottom lashes. I'm not sure if it's the mascara I've been using, or the oil on my skin that makes it smear underneath my eyes... alas! I use a freebie clinique one that came as a gift with purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quiche looks lovely! Thanks for including me on your blog list.

    ReplyDelete