Thursday, December 2, 2010

I don't want to hear it skeptics!

As most of you who know me have figured out by now...I love fall and I love cooking for the seasons. With autumn quickly transitioning into winter here in the Northwest, I figured it was time to try a recipe I discovered on foodgawker.com a few weeks ago. Pumpkin Chili. Yup, that's right! Two very unlikely things are combined in this delicious and hearty meal. A lot of people I've talked to about making this dish thought it sounded disgusting, but I swear this meal is a must. The pumpkin doesn't make the chili taste like pumpkin, but rather it acts as a healthy thickener...making the chili more filling and the broth creamier (without milk for us lactose-challenged people!). I hope you guys will try this one, Jeremy swears it is one of the top-5 things I've ever made for dinner!

Recipe of the Day: Pumpkin Chili (Serves 8)
Courtesy of The Family Kitchen

Ingredients:

1.5 pounds ground chuck
1 - 15 oz. can light red kidney beans
1 - 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans
2 - 14 oz. cans of pure pumpkin (pumpkin puree)
2 - 28 oz. cans of diced or crushed tomatoes (recommend: fire-roasted diced tomatoes)
3 cups beef broth
1 large onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
3 teaspoons cumin
1 tsp. chili powder (I use 2 teaspoons)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 teaspoons dried cilantro
2 teaspoons dried oregano

Directions:

  1. Add ground beef, salt, and pepper to a large soup pot. Brown meat. Add diced onion, green bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until the onions are translucent.

  2. Add the ground beef and vegetables to the crock-pot. Then add the dark and light beans, pumpkin, tomatoes, broth, cumin, chili powder, cilantro and oregano. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment