Monday, November 22, 2010

Veronica in the PDX

Oh what a weekend! I don't think I could begin to recall all the various twists and turns this weekend took...but I'll try my best to share the highlights.

Starting things off right, my very lovely and feisty fellow Trojan Veronica came to visit me this weekend in Portland. Flying into PDX Thursday night, the first thing V said when she stepped into the car was, "I can't believe how fresh the air is!". Well if there's one thing Oregon does better than California...it's air. After Jeremy gave V his world famous history of Portland-- including how the city got it's name (a coin toss between being named after Boston, MA and Portland, ME), Lewis and Clark's involvement, and the geographic and demographic breakdowns--we headed to Widmer. A lovely place to start your first night in Portland, even when surrounded by Trailblazer fans.

After a pretzel, some buffalo wings, and a sampling of our favorite carb, we headed to Deschutes for a nice little taste comparison. Finally finishing up with a quick stop at Bridgeport. When we got home Buoy was very happy to see his Aunt Veronica and V was very happy to be out of the cold. :)

Friday morning V and I prepped for our lovely tailgate Saturday. (We should seriously be professionals at tailgate planning). We picked up the BBQ and purchased some hand-warmers and thermals. Then headed out to Multnomah Falls. The falls were beautiful, but I'm fairly certain V was more in awe of the fashion choices many of the tourists had made. Fashion in the Pacific Northwest is always a bit interesting.
On the way back towards Portland we stopped at McMenamin's Edgefield, or as Maeve calls it "Disneyland for adults". Edgefield is one of my favorite spots in Oregon. We were able to wine taste for $5 and V smoked her first cigar...I wish I had thought to get a picture! It is definitely a great location to spend a rainy day, full of fireplaces and cozy corners. Not to mention, the food is delicious. I recommend the Shrimp Wontons and the Beef Stew.


Friday night V, Jeremy, Pete and I headed to Departure. This restaurant/bar on the top of the Nines Hotel is amazing. It feels like you're on a space ship! The food is absolutely amazing. V described it after as Asian tapas, and I think that's a very good description. Definitely recommend this place for great views of the city and amazing food. Off the menu, must-tries include: Pork Springrolls, Shrimp Har Gau, and the Kobe Meatballs.

So Saturday morning, we packed up the car with all our tailgate supplies and made our way down to Corvallis. The tailgate was amazing. I'll leave it at that. The game itself was horrible and I'll probably never go back to OSU, ha!

Sunday was V's final day in PDX...sad! But we finished things off right with a trip to one of the best breakfast spots in town...Besaw's. V had the Prosciutto Scramble and I had the Breakfast Sandwich. Both were delicious. My sandwich consisted of 2 over-easy eggs on a brioche bun with avocado, bacon, tomato, and goat cheese (perfect for us Lactards!). Amazing!

Now it's Monday and I wish V was still here, but on a positive note--this morning she said when she got to work everyone told her she looks very refreshed! As V puts it, "Portland = Oxygen Facial!" That would make a great postcard :)

Here's hoping by tomorrow Portland not only has great oxygen but a few inches of snow too!


Recommended in this post:

McMenamin's Edgefield-- 2126 SW Halsey Street, Troutdale, OR 97060
Multnomah Falls-- 50000 East Historic Columbia River Highway, Corbett, OR 97019
Departure-- 525 SW Morrison St, Portland 97204
Besaw's-- 2301 NW Savier Street, Portland 97210

3 comments:

  1. Hi Allison! Sorry we didn't get to see you guys this weekend! We eventually got to Corvallis after our late start... somehow, my phone was having a really difficult time making any outgoing calls once I was there... at&t network? Anyways, *sigh*. I hope you had a lovely weekend, and that we can see each other next time! I had a great time in Portland, like always... it's tough being back home! Say hi to Jeremy & Buoy for me.
    xo,
    Linnea

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw i love that i got a shout-out! mcmenamin's is amazing...happy thanksgiving! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! I miss you Maeve!! I think you need to make another trip down to Oregon in the springtime. Although last night it was colder here than in Alaska, what the F?

    Linnea--I'm counting down the days 'til Tahoe honey!!

    ReplyDelete