Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thursday's Random Recipe

So first I need to apologize to my millions of blog-reading fans for taking the day off yesterday. I went home sick from work and didn't do much more than curl up on the couch and try to stop Buoy from pestering me. That being said, I will try to make up for it today.

First I'd like to share with you Jeremy's absolute favorite thing I make--a Jalapeno Monterey Jack Quiche. Random right? It's probably the easiest thing in the world to make and it has all of his favorite things in it...so needless to say it's an instant pleaser. I've made this recipe a dozen times or so, and over the past couple of years I've baked it with some variations which I'll share with you.

I can honestly say this has become my own recipe. It originated from a recipe in Country Magazine, but it has long since evolved into something that I can call my own.

Recipe of the Day--Jalapeno Monterey Jack Quiche

Ingredients:
1 9-in pie crust*
1 small jar of sliced jalapenos, drained
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese (I use 1 cup Pepper Jack and 1 cup Monterey Jack)
4 eggs
1/4 cup half and half
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (if desired)
fresh cilantro for garnish

*For the crust...I began by using frozen Marie Calendar's crusts, but one time I made the mistake of baking a homemade crust...and now I can't get away with the frozen ones. Pie crusts are very easy to make and I'll include a recipe after the instructions.

Instructions:
  1. First you need to either make your pie crust or get out the frozen one. Drain the jalapenos and press them all along the bottom and sides of the pie crust. Be careful! I've put too many and it will make this a very spicy dish...it's up to you how spicy you want this to turn out.
  2. Grate the cheese and spread over the bottom of the pie crust. Press down gently.
  3. If you would like to add bacon (an experiment I tried that turned out delicious) add the crumbled bacon on top of the cheese.
  4. Next whisk together your eggs, half and half, salt and pepper. The original recipe didn't call for the half and half, but it makes the quiche a million times better. Trust me!
  5. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the cheese.
  6. Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. You just want to check to make sure the egg is cooked throughout before taking the quiche out of the oven. Use a fork or knife to test, it should come out clean.
  7. Add the chopped parsley if you so desire and serve!

This recipe is perfect for almost any occasion--dinner, a picnic lunch, pot-luck, or even breakfast. There are a million quiche recipes out there, but for anyone who likes spicy food this one is perfect.

Quiche Crust Recipe:

Ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
2 tablespoons cold water

Instructions:

  1. Sift the flour with the salt.
  2. Cut in the shortening using two knives. The pieces should be the size of peas.
  3. Add the water and then mix with a fork.
  4. When it all gathers together, leaving the bowl clean...you can chill the dough in the fridge or roll it right out. I actually just press the dough with my hands into the pie dish!

I hope you guys will try this recipe out. A lot of people are skeptical of quiche, but it is so easy and it's really just an omelet in a pie crust!

Expect another entry this afternoon. I'll be writing about one of my favorite barbecue spots in Portland :)

No comments:

Post a Comment