Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cooking the Cowboy Way

A few months ago I was perusing Vroman's Bookstore in Pasadena, when I stumbled upon the best cookbook I've ever seen. It's called Cooking the Cowboy Way. For those of you who know me you probably understand why I had to have it. I love to cook and I LOVE ANYTHING COUNTRY. This book was created for me.

I definitely haven't tried as many of the recipes as I would of liked to by now, but I am going to share with you one that Jeremy and I love. It's a beef brisket recipe that was originally intended to be roasted, but I've modified it by making it crock-pot friendly. This cuts down on the amount of time you are actively cooking this meal to about 20 minutes!

King Beef Brisket

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 (4 pound) brisket
64 oz. beef stock

Instructions:
1. Mix together in a small bowl all of the dry ingredients.
2. Cover the brisket on both sides with the dry rub.
3. Place the brisket in the crock pot and add enough beef stock to just cover the top of the brisket. (Don't worry if the spices come off the brisket, the flavor will still be cook into the meat.)
4. Cook on low for 10-12 hours.

See how easy that is? I put the rub together and set the crock-pot going before I left for work. It took about 20 minutes, start to finish, and now when I get home there will be a delicious dinner waiting for me!

Let me know how you like this recipe if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment