Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Little Gentile Who Could

As many of you know, Jeremy is Jewish. As you probably also know, Jeremy loves good food. What this means for me? Perfecting staple Jewish dishes is a must. Topping the list of dishes I need to learn, perfect, and customize is matzoh ball soup. Jeremy has been eating matzoh ball soup with his family every Friday night at Shabbat dinner for the past 24 years, but (I'm just going to say it) they use boxed matzoh balls. Nothing against boxed matzoh balls, but I am determined to do better. So last Friday night I pulled out the matzoh ball recipe I have been testing the past few weeks and got to work. Now, what you probably don't know about matzoh balls--I just found this out too--is that there are serious food wars between those who prefer fluffy and those who prefer doughy matzoh balls. (And yes...I know how bad a conversation about fluffy and doughy balls sounds.) Nevertheless, the recipe I've found and that both Jeremy and I love lands among the doughy ball fan camp.

This recipe is easy to make and I have a feeling will be a staple on our Friday night menu. I add celery and bowtie pasta to make this soup a little more filling.

Recipe: Chicken Soup with Matzoh Balls

Ingredients:
3 eggs
6 - 9 cups chicken stock (I actually use about 96 oz./12 cups)
1/4 cup minced or grated onion
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup matzoh meal (more if your dough is too wet)
4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Preparation:
1. Beat together the eggs and 1/2 cup of the chicken stock.
2. Stir in the onion, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the matzoh meal (the dough will be moist).
3. Cover the mixture and refrigerate for at least an hour. When you're ready fill a large pot with the remaining chicken stock and place on the stove to boil. Using wet hands shape the dough into small balls (about an inch in diameter). While working on this, place the carrots into the boiling broth.
4. As you form each ball drop them into the boiling stock. Once all of the matzoh balls are placed in the pot, turn down the heat to medium/low, and add the pasta and celery (if desired). Let cook about 25-30 minutes.

Enjoy!

*Original recipe comes from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

1 comment:

  1. Lois! you make excellent matzoh ball soup. Thank you for perfecting the recipe to make those great doughy balls!

    ReplyDelete